Prairienet Banner

Home > A last-minute hiccup

A last-minute hiccup

As we were preparing our seven computers for our final trip to ESL, we kept an inventory to make sure we completed each step of installation on each computer. By Thanksgiving we had three computers completed finished and four with only a few more applications to install. However, when we came into class Nov. 30 to finish up the last application installs, one of the computers we designated to be a client computer presented an error message and refused to load Windows. After some troubleshooting, we decided it was most likely a hard drive problem and we replaced the hard drive. A bit of a setback, but definitely still manageable.

Since the new hard drive was not a Carle computer, our first step was to wipe it. The DBAN software was not responding, so we tried HD Sanitizer instead. After two hours with little progress and another driver error message, we decided that maybe we chose a faulty hard drive. We switched it out for a new one and started HD Sanitizer once again.

When Whitney came back to the lab the next day, HD Sanitizer was still running with little success. That afternoon, our group tried three more hard drives before determining that it was most likely not a hard drive issue. We contacted Martin who agreed to meet us the next day to help us select a different computer to start anew.

On Thursday, Dec. 2 (the day before leaving for ESL), we met with Martin, picked out a new computer, found a hard drive that had already been wiped, and began installing Windows  XP. Several hours later, I received a call from Whitney, who had been installing Windows, saying that the computer would not connect to the network. After a couple hours of troubleshooting and some help of a classmate, I was able to determine that the reason the computer was not recognizing the network was that it was missing many essential drivers. I downloaded the drivers onto a flash drive, which I then transferred over to what affectionately became known as “the naughty computer.”

After approximately 130 Windows security updates and a couple hours of application installs, the naughty computer was finally up to snuff for the trip the following day.

Leave a Reply