Inventory of Technology Installed/Upgraded
- 7 Dell computers (donated by FabLab)
– OS: Windows XP
– Processor: Intel Pentium 4 (2.8 GHz)
– Hard Disk: 40 GB
– RAM: 1.5 GB of PC3200U RAM (except administrative computer, which has 2 GB)
– System Bus Speed: 800 MHz
- 7 Dell 13 inch monitors (provided by school)
- 7 keyboards
- 7 mice
- 1 HP LaserJet 5 C3916A Printer
- 1 Netgear WNR3500L router
- 1 Seagate GoFlex (1 TB) external hard drive
- 1 D-Link 16-port switch
- Mozilla Firefox (all computers)
- Skype (all computers)
- OpenOffice (all computers)
- Adobe Reader (all computers)
- AVG (anti-virus) (all computers)
- AdAware (anti-virus and anti-spyware) (all computers)
- SteadyState (all computers)
- Flash (all computers)
- Real Player (all computers)
- Quicktime (all computers)
- tuxtype (typing training) (all computers)
- GIMP (image editing) (all computers)
- Avidemux (video editing) (all computers)
- Super Duper Music Looper (music editing) (2 computers)
- Audacity (music editing) (3 computers)
- FL Studio (music editing) (2 computers)
- Drawing 4 Kids (drawing) (2 computers)
- Artrage 2 (drawing) (2 computers)
- Inkscape (drawing) (2 computers)
- Tux Paint (drawing) (1 computer)
- 3 standing workstations with stools
- 3 sitting workstations with chairs
- 1 administrative work table with chair
Environmental Changes Made
The main environmental changes made to the space were the additions of furniture and technology. Six workstations were built and installed in the room; three are standing-height, with stools, and three are sitting-height, to be used with chairs that the site will provide. The workstations are trapezoidal and can be re-arranged in a number of ways to facilitate group or individual work. Each workstation is equipped with a computer and will have a monitor (which the site will provide). Additionally, a seventh computer, for administrative use, was installed on a table near the front of the space. The computers are wired together and an external hard drive has been provided for storage. A wireless router was also delivered to the space, and will be utilized once the school has internet access. And a printer was installed with the administrative workstation for administrative and student printing.
Training and Documentation Provided
We left the following documentation, instructional, and training materials with our site collaborators:
- A maintenance checklist, which includes weekly and monthly suggested security, cleaning, back-up, and updating tasks, as well as troubleshooting basics.
- A basic inventory of the installed technology (hardware, programs, etc.), complete with a master list of passwords.
- Open DNS instructions for setting up internet filtering, for when the site gains internet access.
- A map of working circuits we made when trying to ascertain the electrical layout of the space.
- Backup CDs for bookmarks, programs, and drivers.
- Product information regarding cord covering kits so that the space can be professional while remaining flexible.